Monday, February 04, 2008

Superbowl 42 (the day after.....)

I dedicate this post to the me who will go back and re-read this post this summer. It's the morning after, and I know that on summer night night this August, I will base an evening on the first Patriot pre-season game. It will be Mid-summer, Alexa will soon be in the second grade, Jenna will just about ready for pre-school.....Am I looking for to this game today? Not really.

I remember driving home from work in October 2003. It was an hour or so after Aaron Boone's homerun had floated into the New York night. Rachel and I spent a few hours listening to the autopsy on sports radio and I remember thinking ,"How can I possibly get up for next year?"...starting over....spring training....opening day....playoffs....to get back....but you know what? I did. Obviously we know what happened to the sox in 04'

The draft will come....some players will go....someone surprising will come....and little by little we'll be in the mood for football....I know its tough to believe this morning....Before the Giants received their trophy, I had taken a knife to the superbowl balloons and the Slider glass door Pats artwork was obliterated in a hail of windex and papertowels.

Funny this morning tho....Went out for papers and coffee and didnt see a single pats hat or coat.

My thoughts on the game:

1. I wasn't nervous until I saw Brady on the field and suddenly needed an ativan....
2. What happens if the Pats got the ball first?
3. Brady wasn't throwing right again last night. Ankle? Shoulder?
4. Its weird to expect to win and then NOT win is now weird, after living thru Bucky, Buckner, Boone etc.
5. If the Pats DO make it to Superbowl 43, and win it, it will be four years between wins. Can a team going almost half a decade between championships be called a dynasty.
6. What ARE the odds a team who went to the AFC championship last year and the superbowl this year, isnt due for a stinker....ya know a 8-8 season.
7. If number 6 happens, maybe i can find a couple of tickets.
8. Funny how a sporting event can really play a role in your mood the following day..
9. Spygate took a little bit of the edge off this season.
10. might need a break from sports talk for a week....

oh...one last thing....wonder if we'll have to endure "18 and one" chants from Yankees fans this season....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home