Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Duran Duran is back back

I picked up the new Duran Duran CD "Red Carpet Massacre" today. I already like it better than "Astronaut" which i thought was weak outside of "Reach up for the Sunrise" a fav of Alexa's at the time.
I would have to peg Duran as my alltime fav band. The Beatles are up there, but i didnt grow up with the Beatles. One "A" might be "Queen". Its a tough call but Queen is tough to pick since Freddies death in 91'. But if i had to rank some of fav albums...they'd be all over the place...."Queen II"....black side only (if you're a Queen fan you get the black thing)...."The Game" from 80....with "Crazy Little thing", "another one bites the dust"..."Day at the races"/"Night at the Opera"...All in my best of.....oddly i have them only on vinyl. Back to Duran Duran....

I was playing Duran in college...Their second album was the one that became big...and their first came out shortly after to capitalize (I actually like it better.....VERY new wave). I've heard "Rio" and "Hungry Like the Wolf" way too many times...."Seven and the Ragged Tiger" is a fav....I bought it first day....It was at the height of Druan mania....thought "Arena" sucked dick. Heres a live album missing what???????? Most of the crowd sounds.....You have this amazing pop culture moment and they fucked it up. Imagine Ed Sullivan saying "Ladies and Gentlemen...."The Beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" with NO screaming! Like the splinter groups "Power Station" and "Arcadia"..."Some Like it Hot" and "Get it on" are still two of my fav songs.
"Notorious" was ok....as was "Big Thing" in 88'.....anyone remember "Liberty" in 1990. Just awful...........
I loved "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone" from the "wedding Album"....which oddly i dont' own but have the tracks from the greatest hits cd.....The rest of the 90s stuff was shit....I think at one point it was just Simon and Nick. The new CD will give you bass a test. Its not a one listen cd....You can hear a lot of Nicks touches all over the place thru non stop back beat....There a couple of exceptions from the rhythm feel.....but there are some steller tracks to run to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home